Saturday, October 14, 2006
Blackened States playlist
Yesterday and today I worked on this little playlist, a collection of avantish black metal and industrial ambient. Though I’m not at all a dj, I like to make such compilations every now and then: juxtaposing the tracks makes me listen to the music in new ways.
'Blackened States’ playlist
1. “Embleton Rookery, Northumberland, England” by Chris Watson, from the “Stepping Into The Dark” cd (a nice enough cd, though his “Weather Report” cd is much better; however, this utterly brilliant recording of black birds crowing near an old countryside church provided the inspiration for this playlist);
2. “Piercing Where They Might” by Lurker Of Chalice, from the brilliant self-titled cd;
3. “Loss And Inner Distortion” by Xasthur, from his most recent cd “Subliminal Genocide”;
4. “Narrow Road” by Thralldom from their “A Shaman Steering The Vessel Of Vastness” (one of my favorite cd’s of 2006);
5. “Winterglow” by Velvet Cacoon, from their “Northsuite” cd (I finally got it in the mail Friday!);
6. “Race Of Apathy” by Striborg from the “Embittered Darkness/Isle Des Mortes” cd;
7. “The Ice Desert” from Benighted Leams’ very odd ”Ferly Centesms” cd;
8. “All The Pretty Little Horses” by Current 93, from the compilation cd “Calling For Vanished Faces” (a heartrending lullabyif ever there was one; it originally appeared on my favorite C93 cd);
9. “It's Oh So Strange” by Foehn from the “Insideout Eyes” cd (which has a very nice handmade collage as a cover; why don't we hear from her anymore?);
10. “Not Real” by Final from the “3” cd (a Fennesz Godflesh, highly recommended!);
11. “Reasonably Miserable” by Ginnungagap, from the “1000% Downer EP”;
12. “Rise Up, Warriors” by Wolfmangler from “Dwelling In A Dead Raven For The Glory Of Crucified Wolves”.