Saturday, March 24, 2007

Lack of posts

A frantic pace at work due to understaffing, the flue and weekends spent in preparation for the imminent birth of my first child have kept me from posting the last few months ... as well as a feeling that - now the real blogerati have started writing about that axis of evil between Dubstep and Black Metal - I do not have much to add to what is being written and feel slightly intimidated by the quality of Blissblog's and K-Punk's posts on the matter.

Besides, my interest in Black Metal has diminished somewhat, due to buying some much-hyped but disappointing albums (Nachtmystium's "Instinct : Decay" being the very worst of them).

My lessened interest in the genre is probably also due to the discovery of some wonderful mp3-blogs that post late-seventies and early-eighties industrial and experimental c60-cassettes and lp's (find them here, here and here). I am drawn irresistably towards the musical black holes posted by these audioblogs: my collection of Throbbing Gristle albums has jumped from 1 to 9 in the space of a few weeks. I have yet to find a Black Metal track that is as revolting, as sickening as TG's 'Hamburger Lady' or 'Very Friendly'.

On the other hand, both much of TG's recordings and Black Metal share low sound quality, to which I seem to become addicted to, much to the chagrin of my girlfriend. Part of the fascination they exert on me is that of listening to their lo-fi (some of the c60-cassette rips sound as if mushrooms and other unspeakable things are growing on the tape) sound played back on my great-sounding Denon amplifier and my huge Elac speakers - perhaps it is an audiophile's variation on Bataille's notion of 'dépense' (expenditure)...

So perhaps not all hope is lost for my flirtation with Metal. I've recently ordered Sunn 0)))'s "La Mort Noir dans Esch/Alzette" and Wold's "Screech Owl" from Aurora Borealis; and I can't wait for KTL2.

2 comments:

-cja said...

not for nothing, but that Nactmystium album was very much overhyped. they killed it live, but that record put me to sleep.

valter said...

Thanks for your comment, I love your 'A Blaze In The NJ Sky' blog - it put my on the track of a lot of good music!